Designing My HO-Scale Room Layout
[/quote]

If you want to run passenger trains, then 40-foot boxcars is not the governing rolling stock. The governing rolling stock (the biggest rolling stock you are going to run - the stuff that determine your minimal curve radius and turnout angles) would then probably be some kind of passenger cars. What kind of passenger trains do you want to run?

Also, you are saying that you prefer mainline running to switching, and scenic realism to operation, yet still list "local freight operation" as your no 1 operation priority.

What does that mean, in your own words? What is your vision for this layout - if you were to describe a typical run of one of your trains - how would you envision it?

Stein[/quote]

35 Opps! I wasn't thinking about passenger trains when I put in the governing rolling stock, The passenger trains I want to run will be short, about as big as a 50' box car.

What I meant when I said I prefer Mainline running to switching is that I prefer running the train through the scenery better than switching, and local freight operation involves both of these.

What I envision a regular day on the layout is this, using my last design as an example: Train 1 would depart from the yard with a train ordered to do switching at the bottom right module of the layout, it would pick up its consist from the yard then head down the hill and proceed to the town, once it reached the town it would perform its switching and then would head back to the yard, once it reached the beginning of the 3% grade up to the yard it would have to wait for the helper stationed at the top of the grade to pick it up and help it over the grade, them it would reach the yard and that would be the end of its job.

On second thought that doesn't sound very interesting at all Sad

I should probably read through Lance Mindheim's book again, and make up another wants and needs list before I make any more designs.
Justin Miller
Modeling the Lebanon Industrial Railway (LIRY)

Messages In This Thread