easy rock strata
Biased turkey Wrote:Thank you Steve for posting that very well documented "easy rock strata tutorial".
It looks like most of the threads on that scenery subforum start with the word "easy " Smile
I'm modeling eastern Canada and that kind of rock formation ( as far as I know ) doesn't exist here .
Is it a rock formation typical of western US ?
But the rest of that scenery tutorial is very helpful and interesting
I really like Sculptamold too, because small rocks can be carved directly into it, no need to cast rocks in Woodland Scenics rock molds ( using hydrocal ) and glue them.
As a matter of fact, ( specially in N scale ) rocks can be just painted directly on the Sculptamold. That will be the subject of my next thread:
"removable micro hill ( including a tunnel ) for a micro-layout".

Jacques

Jacques, I think that type of strata would be seen in Eastern Canada. It is common in the Catskills and Adirondacks of New York state. The difference between the East Coast and the Southwest is that you guys get a lot more rainfall and snow, so the landscape is much more lush. Anyplace that the rock strata is cracked where a tree root can get a "toe hold" a tree will grow. The strata is often underneath the forest, and often if nothing else grows on the rocks back there, they will be covered with moss. I think I've also seen pictures of railroading in the New England area where the railroad runs through a cut that would be very similar to that strata. If I remember correctly much of the forest areas of Pennsylvania, N.Y., New England, and Quebec Province is slate underneath everything. If you are modeling the prairie farming areas of Eastern Canada, then you probably would not see that much rock strata. The black-dark gray color pallet would be more correct for the northeast. In Arizona, Utah, Southern Nevada, New Mexico, and Colorado would find many of the cliffs more of an iron oxide red color.

Messages In This Thread