Apple Peak Railroad and Coal Co.
My benchwork in the past has been "L"-Girders (1x4 w/1x2 screwed and glued on top with the screws backed out after a couple days drying time -- make two at a time ...) and my roadbed was 1/2" homosote yellow glued to 1/2" ply which sat on 1x2 risers (w/1x1 cleats) which were screwed to 1x3 joists, spaced about 24" apart. I never had any sagging and this next (final attempt) iteration of the LS&W will rise from the floor in the same fashion.

The construction method, developed years ago by Linn Westcott, is incredibly strong! Two sections that I built in my basement in Lansdale, PA in 1989, wrapped in bubble wrap to protect hours of laying track and building turnouts by hand, was moved to Maryland, then to Florida and three more times here in Florida before being unwrapped recently and no damage was observed! It is as strong and straight as the day it was screwed together!

A building stands because of a strong foundation! It will fall if the foundation is weak.

Don't pinch pennies when it comes to the foundation on which your model railroad empire will sit, hopefully for many years!
biL

Lehigh Susquehanna & Western 

"America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves." ~~Abraham Lincoln

Messages In This Thread