CP Scarborough Harbor Branch Line - HO Scale
BR60103 Wrote:Tetters, a conceptual question. How long do you figure the pier deck has been there? What I mean is, did it see steam loco service or all diesel? Steam locos would have dripped oil/grease outside of the rails, where the cylinders and motion were, while diesels tend to drip in a line near the middle of the track.

Funny you mention that. I have given this some thought. While working on this particular structure, I also asked myself the same question.

How long has this been here and what kind of service has it seen?

I do have one steam loco in my roster...in storage...so once I get all the "dirty" work out of the way on the layout I imagine that it will see some action for sure**. I also envision that the pier has been there for sometime...possibly close to the end of its serviceable life and the CPR engineers are already designing a new concrete pier to replace it. (Not that I plan on replacing it, I just built the damn thing! Ha!).

Do you have some examples I can look at? I've seen a couple of pictures that show the rail is typically blacker in the center, but not enough detail to capture things like grease or oil drippings. It's by no means a completed piece either, so I'm looking for and happy to receive some suggestions on how I can improve on it. One thing I've been toying with is adding in plank ends and bolt holes for the planks. Tedious work, but a detail that can jump out and really grab peoples attention. I did experiment with placing some "cinders" in the middle of the approach track for the float bridge, nothing is too permanent though.

**Hopefully not be associated with or to become the one and only lowly "dockside switcher" which apparently is a MRR faux paus according to the "experts" in our hobby. Icon_lol

Messages In This Thread