Programming Decoders for Prototypical Sound and Movement
Definitely take notes and keep a log of the CVs you try and their effects. I created a three ring binder with plastic page holders where I keep my loco and decoder info. Each loco has its own page protector. In it are the loco and decoder instruction sheets and loco exploded views, and a table which has the most used CVs and what their latest setting was. If I change something, i just mark it in the next column inthe chart.

Since my layout is essentially a switching layout, all of the locos are programmed for lower speed operation. A typical set-up may be as follows:

CV02 start voltage = 15 to 30 (set so the loco just begins to move when the throttle is advanced from zero)
CV03 accel rate = 0 (although I may change this based on Randy's commentary above)
CV04 decel rate = 0
CV05 max voltage = 100 to 120 (I don't want my visitors running the locos at a high rate of speed)
CV06 mid range = set at about 2/3rds of the value between CV02 and CV05 for more low end control

Now, the subject of playing with the CVs can be a hobby unto itself. it is easy to find oneself playing with all the Cvs instead of actually running the trains!
Three Foot Rule In Effect At All Times

Messages In This Thread