Opinions/observations on HO rolling stock
I can't really comment on Exactrail, Auccurail and Tangant models as I've yet to purchase one. Like many others, $35 for a single car is a pretty big pill to swallow! I have purchased one $35 car in the last year (actually paid $28 for it), a Kadee 50ft L&N Cushion Underframe box that is something else. Doors open and the Hydro-Frame 60 underframe actually works. I have been wanting to purchase an Exactrail Southern Railway waffle side box car, but $35 for another single car????

I have about 100 HO cars at this point, the majority being the good old Roundhouse box cars, covered hoppers, etc., a few Walther's cars and a few upgraded Athearn cars in the mix. Although the molded on detail is a bit clunky by today's standards, I'm more than pleased with them. All have Kadee couplers and am in the process of adding metal wheel sets to all of them. They operate just great. Most of the newer cars I've purchased over the past few months have been Atlas tank cars and a couple of the upgraded Athearn/Roundhouse cars, which have great detail. I was a bit surprised that an upgraded Athearn covered hopper I recently purchased still had that crappy stamped metal piece to hold the couplers!

I have noticed that when these newer cars are placed in a cut with the older cars, that I have to look really close to see the differences. So, whenever I make it to any model railroad shows or the GATS show, etc. I'll be on the lookout for the older Roundhouse cars that can still be purchased for around $8 a piece.

A friend and I were discussing the high cost of model railroad equipment the other day compared to what we used to pay for very nice models and reached one conclusion. Today, when you plunk down $15-$35 for a single car, you are basically purchasing a museum quality model. But you are also looking at some really big bucks to have a fleet of cars. Not only that, but my cars will be handled a lot, taking them on and off the layout for operating sessions and I wonder how these "museum quality" models will hold up.

With DCC/Sound equipped locomotives running $150-$250 a piece and the cost of a single freight car averaging about $20 each, I often wonder how younger people or even us older folks can afford to get in to the hobby. I have noticed that when the local (50 mile away) hobby shop gets in the latest Exactrail/Accurail/Tangent models, they seem to sell out very fast, so I guess somebody out there can afford these prices.

I've purchased two DCC/Sound equipped loco's over the past couple of months and am looking at a third one, but really have to think things through and justify such purchases since I'm retired. Am very pleased with these locomotives, but geez!! I never thought I'd have to take out a loan to buy an HO locomotive or freight car. Wonder when the manufacturers will start their own loan companies?

Hope I didn't get off topic to much here
Ed
"Friends don't let friends build Timesavers"

Messages In This Thread