Opinions/observations on HO rolling stock
doctorwayne Wrote:Here's the RibSide Cars version of the Milwaukee Road's unique boxcars:
[Image: Freightcars002.jpg]

[Image: Freightcars007.jpg]

I removed the cast-on grabs and replaced them with bracketed grabs from Details West. I also replaced the cast sill steps with modified ones from A-Line and added roofwalk corner grabs, and upgraded the brake detail on the underbody.

Here are a couple of other recently-finished cars.

This is an Intermountain kit that I picked up for $9.00. This kit had sat on the shelf for several years with a $30.00 price sticker on it (fairly cheap in these parts for an Intermountain kit), mainly due to the fact that 1.) It was a kit and 2.) it was factory-lettered for a California winery. Nope Not a big seller in the Niagara Peninsula area, part of Ontario's wine industry region. I was lucky to be in the store the day the price finally came down. Goldth I already had the decals on hand, and, after stripping and re-painting the shell and replacing some of the kit's details with metal parts, ended-up with this:
[Image: Freightcars001.jpg]

I got a couple of these Athearn/MDC milk cars at a reasonable $12.00 each, mainly due to the fact that they were gaudily-lettered for American dairies - regular price was $29.95. These were ready to run cars, so I had to disassemble them to strip the lettering. By the time it had been removed, most of the paint was gone, too. I removed some cast-on piping from the "B" ends of the cars, then re-painted them with CNR Green from Accupaint. Lettering is dry transfers from C-D-S. While the cars were originally meant to represent ones with interior tanks for bulk shipments of milk, mine are simply insulated (but non-refrigerated) express cars:
[Image: Freightcars004.jpg]

This is another "bargain" car at $4.00 for a new-in-the-box kit, although not such an impressive saving, as it's only an Athearn Blue Box car. However, after seeing Kevin's (nachoman) car from the Spring Kitbash Challenge, I couldn't resist.
I added metal steps and grabirons, upgraded the brake gear, and added a safety railing around the domes. Lettering is data and alphabets from Champ, with "GERN" cut from a Walthers Great NorthERN boxcar set:
[Image: Freightcars003.jpg]

[Image: Freightcars009.jpg]

Without the price cuts, it's unlikely any of these cars would have been added to the roster.

Wayne

Dr Wayne, I have been busy for the past few weeks and just managed to catch upon this thread today. I was wondering about the bracket grabs from Details West. Are they plastic or brass castings. I would love to find some brass bracket grabs to use on all of my P2k 50 foot
autobox cars as well as other models requiring bracket grabs.

Messages In This Thread