Checking out a club.
I, too, am considering joining a local model railroad club. The Scale Rails of Southwest Florida is about a 20 to 25 mile drive (maybe 40 -45 minutes) from my home. They were organized in 1983, for a while made due with an 85' Amtrak Coach but they eventually sold the coach and now have built a multi-level layout in a building (that they call "the Depot") that they purchased in North Fort Myers, Florida.

Theirs is a Digitrax DCC-controlled HO scale layout (one of the reasons I chose Digitrax) which depicts the LA Division 1 of the AT&SF from San Bernardino to Victorville, Ca as well as the Joint Line from Pueblo to Denver, Colorado. It's quite a large layout with some impressive scenery but as with many large club layouts, there is still much to be done. They also have a modular N scale layout.

I made the drive to "the Depot" one Saturday morning around Noon (they meet every Tuesday, Thursday and Saturday from about 10am to about 2pm) so I arrived in the middle of a club business meeting. I was invited to sit in, and at the completion of the meeting, was asked to introduce myself and speak a moment or two about any history I might have in the hobby. :mrgreen:

They seemed like a real nice bunch of guys. After the meeting, a member offered to give me a tour of the layout which is pretty impressive. He showed me all the Digitrax equipment in a dedicated cabinet (which at the time, I knew nothing about) but when I first started to read through Gary S.'s detailing his Digitrax Control Center, there were many similarities of organization and installation.

I haven't been back, but mostly due to the sudden onslaught of COPD. I'm feeling more confident about getting out and around now though and I will soon be paying them another visit. They are a 100% NMRA Club and I have reinstated my membership in anticipation of taking the membership plunge. I'll probably join as an Associate Member ($20/mo.) as that is an O.K. fit with my budget as an "old retired guy. I have two more visits before I must make the decision to join, but, to have, for the first time in my life, other model railroaders to socialize with (I mean in person, Fellas. You've gotta know I do so enjoy this forum!) the personal face-to-face contact would be great. Plus, who knows, I might need a little help with DCC ... no ... I will need some help with DCC. (I was still needing help with straight DC 357 357 )

I'll keep you posted.
biL

Lehigh Susquehanna & Western 

"America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves." ~~Abraham Lincoln

Messages In This Thread