Poll: Do You run DC or DCC
You do not have permission to vote in this poll.
DC
32.69%
17 32.69%
DCC
63.46%
33 63.46%
Arm chair
3.85%
2 3.85%
Total 52 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

DC/DCC
I'm finally back to report on my personal DCC adventure. It turns out that the decoder which I was using may be either a kitbash of an existing decoder or something built-up from components. There are 16 colour-coded wires sticking out one end, with the "works" wrapped in what appears to be some sort of black shrink wrap. The reason that my loco ran so well was because I had hooked it up to run as a DC locomotive - not as in a dual-mode decoder, but simply not using the decoder at all. The wires to which I connected don't even go through the decoder. 35 What should have tipped me off is my complaint about not being able to adjust the CVs - I don't have a DCC controller or the power system to go with it. 35 35 35 35 35 35 It did dawn on me after the fact, as I mentioned in my previous post, but I obviously had a serious "senior moment". :oops: Wallbang :oops: Wallbang
My local DCC guy played around with it last night after I left and did get it to work as a decoder in a test mule (not mine - most of which no longer have isolated motors). It supposedly performed okay, but he wasn't especially impressed. He couldn't figure out the purpose of the other extra wires,though. I'll give it, and the others, back to the guy who gave it to me (I did say they were cheap, although I guess you get what you pay for). Misngth

Today I took an Athearn 2-8-2 over for a demonstration run on DCC - this is an almost unmodified loco (I had already removed the headlight) and I'm familiar with its running characteristics, so I could get a sense of any differences in performance from DC operation. The decoder was indeed a simple installation (plug-in to that ugly "pigtail" after removing the dummy plug). The loco ran well after some initial fiddling (adjusting CVs?), with good slow speed control and a reasonable top speed. The hand-held wireless controller looked pretty intimidating, though and I'm sure that something simpler would suit my purposes - all I need is something to control direction and a throttle knob or button. Misngth
The loco was also run on his layout to demonstrate speed matching with a diesel and also to show the two running as a "consist".
I certainly appreciated him taking the time to go through this with me, but I came away less than impressed, not with the technology (it is impressive), but with its application to my situation. I have, for the most part, locos which are closely matched throughout their speed range on DC, and, of course, run well with one another in a "consist". I stated before my preference for no lights or sound, and I saw no detectable difference in low speed performance. Even in DC, most of my locos are capable of speeds slower than would be of use, except for starting and stopping, and certainly too slow for switching. Just because it's possible doesn't necessarily make it desireable. Icon_lol

It obvious that those of you using Digital Command Control are completely sold on its benefits for your particular situations. However, I think that I'll stick with my own version of DCC - Direct Current Control. It does everything I need simply - especially important for someone so simple as to think he was running digital with an analog system. DOH!!!

Wayne

Messages In This Thread