Interchange
I've always used the method described by Gary S - prior to an operating session, simply place the inbound cars on the interchange track as though the connecting road had dropped them before the operating session - switch them according to destination - and finish the session by shoving the outbound cars back on the interchange track. After the session is finished - just remove the outbound cars and repeat the process.

This same process will apply to my proposed switching layout, only difference being that the entire train will be staged as though entering the industrial spur from some offline location and then when the session is complete and the train returns to staging, the outbound cars will be removed and a new cut of inbound cars staged with the locomotive for the next session.

I like the idea of using cassettes so that the inbound/outbound cars can simply be rolled on/off the interchange track - mainly because there would be less handling of the cars. Of course if you were modeling a car ferry type operation - that's a great way to simulate inbound/outbound cars going on/off line.
Ed
"Friends don't let friends build Timesavers"

Messages In This Thread