Vernon, LA county
Brakie Wrote:Reinhard,One of the things I wanted to do is have a ISL that is made up of orange producers and maybe a ice house for the reefers.My motive power would either be a Santa Fe Zebra stripe Alco switcher,RS1 or Baldwin.Cars would be Santa Fe 40' reefers.

My first locomotive choice would be a Santa Fe 1950 class 2-8-0.

I think the LAJ has been a longtime ALCO railroad. They did love their S2 ( http://www.rr-fallenflags.org/misc-l/lajr02gda.jpg ) until they have been forced into the CF-7 adventure. I think RS1 is somewhat difficult. I understood AT&SF did use RS1 exclusive for passenger train switching. May be a very short time in SoCal but mainly in Chicago.
I have no information what steam has been used prior to that diesel. I guess max. 0-6-0 to master the extreme tight curves in Vernon.
The next challenge is "how did Vernon" look at that time? Google is not helpful to explore Vernon 1950 and earlier. The current buildings are the second generation. You need the first generation build for the packaging industry. Do you have a local source with lots of historical photos?
May be Vernon is all about the wrong place for you? Currently Vernon has some cold storage that is used for fruits (may be orange). But the historic purpose of Vernon was meat packaging. I do not know if they did also process fruits at that time.

May be Russ can step in and add some comments?
Reinhard

Messages In This Thread