2-8-2 - THE BUILD
P5se Camelback Wrote:
doctorwayne Wrote: ... For mounting brass detail parts to an existing boiler shell, regardless of whether it's brass, Zamac, or plastic, make use of the mounting pins which are part of most brass detailing parts. If the part doesn't have a mounting pin, consider adding one by drilling the rear of the part to accept a short length of brass wire of a suitable diameter - use solder or ca to secure it in the part (solder is a must if you intend to solder the part to the boiler). A mounting pin will strengthen the joint considerably, and is especially important if you're using ca or epoxy to affix the parts.

O.K., I now need some clarification! I know I've been away from the hobby for a couple decades, and I haven't played with Zamac castings (especially for locomotives) since the ice age before that, my readings of the paragraphs above raise questions in this onld memory-challenged head. I have soldered (or re-soldered) details onto a brass boiler and used ACC (CA) to afix brass details to a plastic models, but if memory serves (and often it doesn't) you must use acc (CA) or epoxy to attach such details to a Zamac casting, such as a locomotive boiler. I don't think you can solder to Zamac.

Do I remember correctly? Soldering irons and Zamac castings don't play well together, correct?

If it's clarification you want, it's clarification you'll get. Wink Icon_lol

I guessing that it's the statement in enlarged type that's causing the confusion. The key word is "if" - Gluing the pin in place on the part, then attempting to solder it to a brass boiler would likely result in failure of the glue. Zamac, as far as I'm aware, cannot be soldered. However, by soldering the pin to the detail part, then inserting the pin into and though the Zamac or plastic boiler shell, the pin can then be bent-over in addition to being glued or epoxied, yielding a much more permanent joint.

Wayne

Messages In This Thread