Coulda, shoulda, woulda...
Thanks for the kind words, guys.
BiL, there are actually two horses in that picture (count the legs) but Jordan seemingly cast all eight (for the Budweiser wagon) exactly the same.
[Image: CameraTwopix014.jpg]

While I painted some as Clydesdales, others became dapple grey Percherons - the smaller horse, below, is from another Jordan wagon similar to the one used for the tank wagon. When I was a kid, the dairy that delivered our milk used dapple greys on all their wagons.
[Image: Layoutviewsetc012.jpg]

Randy, the instructions for the auto frames showed tie-down methods for flatcar loads, too, but the ones I saw in the '50s were all loaded vertically in gondolas. Since I'm not modelling either the frame plant or the auto assembly end of things, this load makes a good "through" load to bulk-out trains. The under-construction carbon black car will be in the same category. I also have a lot of automobile boxcars in service - some will be "just passing through", but many will be moving machinery, appliances, and other bulky, but relatively light, merchandise.

Kevin, yeah, that's just Atlas code 83 track, the same as the rest of the layout. When I re-ballasted the area, I covered over the ends of the ties to provide a more level surface for the LPBs, but I'm not sure I like it. I've since added some oil spills alongside the tracks, too, and am waiting for it to look acceptable. Misngth
I'm toying with the thought of using Central Valley tie strips for the second level of the layout, especially for turnouts - this would allow me to make the frog, points, and closure rails as complete units, giving the benefits of hand-laid with the detail of r-t-r. It would still be in code 83, although I've got some code 70 that I'll try for sidings. Their branchline tie strips offer wider spacing and irregular ends, too.

Wayne

Messages In This Thread