Pearl Harbor Remembered
steinjr Wrote:The reason for why things happen tend to be complex. It is hard to teach complex things. How far back would you need to go to give people a background for discussing why Pearl Harbor happened. The Mejii Restoration of 1868? The Spanish-American war of 1898?

Grin,
Stein

Well, We did cover the spanish american war seperately. Imperialism does get covered, but it focuses more on our efforts in China against European powers, and makes no mention of Japan. That said, when i say they aren't giving the reasons, they literally aren't. They'll explain how hitler was upset about WWI and all of that, but why it is it hard to explain that japan devised a manifest destiny of it's own? thats not a complex idea, especially since its pretty similar to the one here in America, except replace native americans with the Chinese and Korean, and replace us with Japan. Imperialistic efforts inspired japan to change the way it did.

If i went from my highschool lessons, i'd think japan just decided on a whim one day to attack us.

Considering we had plenty of time in class wasted by watching clips of bad movies on pearl harbor (i hate michael bay), there was certainly time to actually explain this a tiny bit, if not in extreme detail.

Justinmiller171 Wrote:Unfortunately this is very true...

I am a Junior in High School and I have Never been taught about World War Two at school yet.

Besides for brief talks about WW2, all I have learned in school about the subject is on the Japanese Internment!

Once in 6th grade our teacher asked the class who we fought in World War 2, and shockingly nobody in the class answered, Finaly one kid raised his hand and said "England?' 35

After that I raised my hand and said "Germany and Japan" and the entire class was surprised that I knew the answer. The only reason I knew that was because I have always been very interested in History(That's what led to to Model Railroading), While the other kids were watching cartoons I was watching the History Channel. It's a real shame that kids don't learn about their own History anymore. Sad

Your school depresses me. I didn't think ANYONE wouldn't know the answer to that question. I don't think you're lying, but i'm going to assume they all thought the answer was to obvious to merit answering (assuming someone else would say it). This will help me sleep at night.

Seriously, none of them have even play Call of Duty or something? Its the most popular WW2 shooter ever, and it sticks close to the facts, at least close enough that you should know who is on who's side!
Modeling New Jersey Under the Wire 1978-1979.  
[Image: logosmall.png]

Messages In This Thread