2-8-2 - THE BUILD
Hey guys..!! Thanks for all the tips. I finally chucked my titanium "coated" drills, and reverted to my old, trusty drill set. They did the job quite nicely. So the super-dooper drills will be used for drilling wood only...
After drilling out most of the front-end weight, I managed to remove only 35 gr. of weight from the boiler. The greatest portion of the weight comes from the overall wall thickness which is almost 1/4" thick. And there's no way I'm going to try to thin those down. I'd need a professional milling machine to do that, and I don't think I want to start down that road...
The weight I removed did make a small difference in the noise department, but is still quite loud when run on ballasted track. I'll just have to live with it.... Eek
My visits here will be quite curtailed for the next few days since my #1 PC bit the dust 2 days ago, and I'm now using the old rig which can't run at anywhere near the speed of the stricken one... :cry: Hopefully I will have it back up & running by next week...
Gus (LC&P).

Messages In This Thread