changing or upgrading to metal wheels
The size of the wheel sets will depend on the weight the car is designed to carry. A 100 ton hopper will have 36 inch wheels, but a 70 ton hopper will only have 33. Passenger cars will have 36 inch wheels because they are designed for higher speeds. Most boxcars will have 33 inch wheels sets. On intermodal cars, it is a totally mixed bag. Husky stacks cars will have the 36 inch wheel sets, but standard 5 platform sets will have 36 inch wheels on the 2 end platforms with 33 inchers in the center units if I remember correctly, but I may have it backwards.

I haven't seen any difference between any of the metal wheel sets. I've never noticed a difference in axle lengths my self, but that doesn't mean there isn't a difference. I usually buy a 12 pack of whichever wheels sets are less expensive. If you have both 70 ton and 100 ton cars so that you need both 33" & 36" wheel sets, buy a pack of each and match up the replacement wheel sets with the original wheel sets. I also like the tool, and have found it to be an excellent tool for tuning up my rolling stock.

Messages In This Thread