We need a GERN thread
MountainMan Wrote:Where is the original mine/factory/whatever that produces the initial "flux"?

There's some "history" of GERN HERE, specifically in Post #56 on Page 4, and Post #98 on Page 7. Many of you will recall seeing it previously, so I hope that re-visiting it won't be a traumatic experience. Wink Misngth Misngth

Since my Gibson Works in Port Maitland (located on the north shore of Lake Erie) was the first model of a GERN facility, it can be considered the original for modelling purposes. Some have built very similar plants and some bear no resemblance to it at all. I consider mine to represent about one third of what would be the "visible" part of the works: the unmodelled part serves lake boats and ocean-going ships, and is mostly storage silos and loading facilities. In addition to the modelled and unmodelled above-ground part of the operation, flux is mined below the lake bed (much like the salt mining operation at Goderich, Ontario, on Lake Huron - pictured below).
[Image: Latestprotofoe-toes004.jpg]

For those modelling GERN, the flux ore can come from a modelled or unmodelled mine, or simply be shipped in as semi-processed material for further development. This allows you to model GERN in a limited space, with a very simple warehouse-type structure or just a couple of trackside storage tanks, with the factory located "elsewhere". Because the product is so versatile (and vague) Misngth it can generate lots of rail traffic even for a 'phone-booth-size plant.

Wayne

Messages In This Thread