In the South
Russ Bellinis Wrote:One reason that I'm modeling the LAJ in the 1990's is that they pretty much parked the Cf7's in the late 1990's except for emergency use. I'm not sure if the LAJ got the LPG units because the Santa Fe didn't like them or if it was because the LAJ had the potential to make more smog than the Santa Fe would at Hobart. I suspect it was the former, because I think the switchers at Hobart do a lot more running than the CF7's at the LAJ. It could have also been that the CF7's were getting "long in the tooth" and may have become a maintenance headache. I remember that they made a big deal about the Santa Fe and the UP getting the LPG units to work Hobart Yard and Washington St. Yard, but I saw the Santa Fe units operating exclusively on the LAJ very soon after the S.F. got them.
That did also justify the way how I ran the CF7 until I got the LAJ labeled two days ago. SF pushed LAJ to use CF7 long time before they got their dedicated LAJ to use constantly changing SF labeled CF7. LAJ with SF labeled CF7 is a perfect setup for about 1990 (and it saves the problem to have ditch lights:-)
I think LAJ got the LPG units not voluntary. There are to many critical comments in the West Coast forum. If they could, they would still run their beloved Alco switchers... But I do not know how many staff is still on active duty that really worked with the Alco switchers and how much is a myth only.
Reinhard

Messages In This Thread