Terrain Dilemma
doctorwayne Wrote:Fred, I thought the foam would be preferable for tree planting, too, and used a block of it to store trees as I made them. Unless the trees are fairly small or of a very regular (uniform) shape, they tend to want to fall over, widening the original hole and rendering it more-or-less useless. The taller the tree, the greater its propensity to fall over (and if a tree falls over onto the foam forest floor, it makes no noise - I listened). Wink Of course, the same trees tend to fall over in plaster hardshell, too, until they're glued in place.
These Elms, roughly 65'-ers, are an example: the distant one is glued in place, while the one in the foreground is listing like a crippled ship: it's not yet glued in place, as I still have to install a lot of fencing along the tracks, then plant some grass for the herd of cows that will eventually reside here. All that is best done without the tree in place.

Wayne

Wayne

Thank you for the warning - I hadn't expected that. For Oregon, I need tall trees - minimum of 6 actual inches, and 12 in many places. After all, the Port Orford & Elk River Railway & Navigation Co is the "Home of the Tall Cedars". I may revert to a lightweight plaster on screen yet. Thumbsup

Fred W

Messages In This Thread