SLC Mechanical Reefers
Randy ...

My "mind full of useless trivia" (as my daughter calls it) seems to remember seeing an article "a number of years back" on kit-bashing the early Reading Covered hoppers (LO class?) using either an Athearn Twin Hopper or an MDC covered hopper. Can't remember which. If you are really not in a hurry, I'll begin the search.

My own plans call for a Portland Cement Plant (from memory, since I'm too far away to go there and actually take a look) reminiscent of the one we used to pass; I think we were going up PA 611 along the Delaware River towards Easton on our way up to Lake Wallenpaupack for the month of August (before there were any Interstates.) All five of us (and the German Shephard puppy)) crammed into Dad' '49 Chrysler Coupe with my baby sister's high chair and play pen tied to the roof (lookin' like gypsies) and there was this Cement plant with the siding holding a string of "fried egg" L&NE gray with cement stains, covered hoppers sitting along the silos on the siding right next to the road. I remember it because to me, the oldest at seven-years-old, meant we were about one third of the way there.

I don't really know where that was ... by the time I was old enough to be paying real attention to route numbers and such and remember all that kind of stuff, we had moved from Philly to the 'Burbs and were then taking Rt. 252 to 309 to 22 and up from there. I never saw the cement plant again, so I'm working on an almost sixty year old memory ... but it'll be the "flavor" that does it for me!

But ... I'll start looking for that article! It'll help us both, and maybe some one else, too!
biL

Lehigh Susquehanna & Western 

"America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves." ~~Abraham Lincoln

Messages In This Thread