DIY - Rock Molds?
Hi Andrew. Thanks for correcting me. I would like to simulate both... depending on the locale. However for the shoreline, I think I'd go for the igneous rock worn down by glacier.

I sometimes let my impatience get the better of me and gave it a try last night. I folded some foil dozens of times in very narrow strips, playing with the angles, carefully unfolded it to get the rock layers, and then crumpled it to break up the lines and make it look more natural. I then shaped the foil into a bowl like form. I mixed up a batch of Hydrocal and poured it into the mold. Couple things I learned.

1) Hydrocal sets up really fast! I almost waited a minute too long, and barely got my rock in place on the scenery before it started to harden. It did crack some, however I was able to salvage my efforts by using a wet paint brush and small trowel to smooth out the cracks and fill them in. I was able to shape it and carve off some excess areas...

2) I'm not sure if I like the result. The result is kind of subtle...which might be to my advantage, however I guess I was hoping for a little more relief from the foil. So tonight, I'll give it a good hard look and decide whether or not to keep it, I'm sure I can knock it off with a hammer and chisel as I didn't prep the surface too well, just in case. Perhaps I'll try a different mold.

Maybe take some pictures first. Not too bad for a first attempt I think.

Messages In This Thread