DIY - Rock Molds?
ocalicreek Wrote: ... As for rocks, I have used home-made rubber molds and still have a few of the 'masters' that I collected to make them in case I wanted to make more. Been carting those rocks across the country for years now. ... Galen

357 Icon_lol 357 Icon_lol 357 Icon_lol 357

Galen ... I have been doing the same thing! One of the boxes labeled "LSW" (and a number) is also labeled "Strata." If my now-former wife had know that it was a box of rocks, she never would have permitted them to be put onto that first moving vanback in the mid-eighties! (They had been collected in the seventies and already had thousands of miles under their tiny little belts!) She always complained that the reason it cost so much for us to move each time was the weight of the incredible number of hard bound books that I have been carting around with me, back and forth, from coast to coast since the mid-seventies. If she had known part of the weight was a box of rocks, there would have been a rather nasty "discussion," I'm sure!

The "Strata" is question are all rocks which display 1:1 reality in miniature, both igneous as well as sedimentary, all gathered in several of the counties in Northeastern Pennsylvania, the geographic home of the Lehigh Susquehanna & Western.

Over the years, I have pulled numerous molds from those rocks -– using a build-up of several coats of latex + a layer of latex-impregnated gauze (for strength) + several more coats of latex and the molds work beautifully. Each mold also has a plaster "backing" that it can sit in while the plaster is poured into the mold and begins to set up. They actually look a lot like the ones pictured on the Bragdon Enterprises web site.

[I still have that box labeled “Strata” and all of its contents … it is one heavy box!]
biL

Lehigh Susquehanna & Western 

"America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves." ~~Abraham Lincoln

Messages In This Thread