SLC Mechanical Reefers
Russ, there are differences between the MR and the SF cars. The ex-SF (SLC 120 - 140) cars have angled ribs on each side of the door. The MR cars (SLC 141 - 199) have all straight ribs:

On the ex-SF cars, there are differences between them. The placement of the big Santa Fe cross emblem is located slightly different on some of the cars, and on the right, some have "Santa Fe" in big letters (painted over) while some have the "Ship and Travel Santa Fe All the Way" logo in smaller letters, with the Santa Fe painted over.

Some of the Ex-SF cars and some of the MR cars have been painted completely yellow. I have noticed that the SLC is quite adamant about painting over graffiti. I'll see a car here in Houston with some graffiti, then a month later, I'll see the same car with the graffiti painted over in an ugly pink paint. I wonder if at some point, the SLC painted all yellow over cars that had major graffiti?

Some of the MR cars are also painted all yellow, but have "PEAVINE' in a small rectangle on the left side. Perhaps these are not even MR cars?

Messages In This Thread