Is there a Mike in the house
Nutbar,
Here for you (and all others also) a few pictures of the VGN class AE model.

[Image: vgn-ae-22k.jpg]

[Image: vgn-ae-23ks.jpg]

[Image: vgn-ae-27k.jpg]

[Image: vgn-ae-28k.jpg]

[Image: vgn-ae-30k.jpg]

[Image: vgn-ae-31k.jpg]

The AE was built in 1918 by ALCO and it was at this time and also until to end of this loco type in 1952 an absolute giant!
- Pulling power 147,200 lbs (working as compound engine) and 176,600 lbs (as simple engine with high pressure steam to all four cylinders).
- The biggest cylinders ever used to a steam engine (30” high power and 48” low power, both 32” stroke) – for readers in metric dimensions: dia 762 mm and 1219 mm by 813 mm way.
- The biggest ever used boiler diameter 118” (outer dia.) or 2997 mm.
- Biggest wide at front cylinders 144” or 3658 mm.
- Weight on drivers in working orders 617,000 lbs.
The engines were so large that the must moved from the erecting shops to the VGN with removed front cylinders and without the cab.
What for an engine and built in 1918 already. See also the long living time – until 1952.
Compare these dates with all the many more modern engines like the DM&IR M-4, the B&O
EM-1, the C&O H-8 or the UP Big Boy and you will see, the AEs were really giants.
Their only problem was the extreme slow max. speed, only 15 mph because the small driver diameter, the big piston stroke and the extreme high masses of pistons, crossheads and rods – however it was good enough for pulling extreme heavy coal trains over steep grades while 35 years of life!
Can you discover my enthusiasm for this engine? The model is not the newest one with all the extreme detailing like newest mass produced plastic models or brass models also. But it was payable and it is a very rare model. And it will fit exactly my old time modeling until the thirties of last century and the two missing parts will be repaired without problems – a missing generator at smokebox front and a lost brass knee at exhaust pipe from front cylinder to smokebox. Note also that the two wheelsets without flanges of each driver group will be correct modeled after the original loco. This is not only a model adaption for better running through curves with a small radius.
The model runs very well also when I will replace the singe motor by a two motor power system so that front and rear engines will be work independently. This will give a very real look when the front engine only will run with slipping wheelsets for a short time. And than the sound to this scenery! I hope for success.
Cheers, Bernd

Please visit also my website www.us-modelsof1900.de.
You can read some more about my model projects and interests in my chronicle of facebook.

Messages In This Thread