CPR Engine House
doctorwayne Wrote:It looks as if the walls are sheathed with drop siding applied over t&g boards, with tarpaper between the two. There's a good chance that the tongue and groove boards are applied diagonally.
I'm curious as to the purpose (and placement) of those four "chimneys on brackets", though: they appear to connect to nothing. Perhaps there were woodstoves connected to them? I certainly wouldn't want to be the guy cutting firewood to heat that barn!
Eek
Wayne

I, too, noticed the note referring to the "drop siding applied over t&g boards, with tarpaper between the two" and assumed that it referred to external sheathing, the tar paper used as a weather barrier. IIRC, the use of T&G was a fairly common method of under-layment for walls, both interior and exterior, on wood framed structures back around the turn of the last century.

As I look at the plan views, It seems that (now it was almost forty years ago that I worked between and after class and all summer in an architect's office to help pay my way through Philadelphia College of Art) if there was some sort of sheathing on the interior of those mighty 2x6 studs, it would have been represented by a double line for a single layer or even a triple line, indicating two layers ... sheathing has thickness, and it is indicated that way on the exterior sheathing, somewhat more readable on the rear wall.

I could be wrong ... God knows it has happened once or twice over all these years ... possibly three times.

Maybe even four times.

It may have even occurred as many as five, or even six times. Big Grin 357

I might even admit to the possibility that I may have been wrong as many as seven or eight times.
I do recall my former wife actually writing it on the calendar one time when I admitted that I was wrong! Icon_lol Icon_lol Icon_lol

EDIT: Tongue firmly in cheek throughout!
biL

Lehigh Susquehanna & Western 

"America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves." ~~Abraham Lincoln

Messages In This Thread