Planning a switching layout (Max size 12x2 feet)
Hei Yngve --

I would suggest having a look at Brattørkaia (Brattøra docks) in Trondheim harbor (sacrilege as it may be for a person from Bergen to look to Trondheim ... ) for some ideas of possible track configurations that may work for a small switching layout.

One thing to look at is the typical small container terminal configuration - two parallel tracks (embedded in concrete) close together, with room for trucks to pull alongside on both sides. Add a ramp at the end of the tracks, and you also have a car transport terminal. Plan for e.g. three containers cars to a track - i.e. 3 foot tracks for H0 scale (I assume you are in H0 scale).

The rail served industries along Brattørkaia also would work as background industries for Toro and Hansa. And of course - adding a Hansa sign to the building would go a long way towards wiping out any possible bad karma resulting from using the Third City as inspiration for the Queen of the West :-)

Here is a rough sketch for a first idea - as you can see, to get respectably sized industries needing a number of cars spotted at specific doors, you won't really have a lot of space for many more industries. Cars shown are 89-foot and 60 foot cars:

[Image: yngve01.jpg]

Smile,
Stein, som modelerer Minneapolis i 1950 årene på Sørumsand i Akershus :-)

Messages In This Thread