Adventures in Perspective
Looks super so far! I agree that it is indeed shaping up to be a well balanced scene. One particular shot you took that included the layout edge just below the side slope of the canal really impressed upon me how the backdrop can actually draw you into the depth of the scene and draw your eyes AWAY from the edge.

I am terrible for looking 'backstage' as it were, when looking at others layouts in person. I like to see what's under the valance (which is why I have avowed to NOT use one on my current layout) and find that the bright area above distracts me from the dark area above, and the contrast itself is too stark. Yes, more light has been directed onto the layout, but even so the valance is distracting.

I mention all that to say that your very successful experiments with painting perspective are striking the balance between drawing you into the scene and being a distraction. I'm sure once you're running trains through the scene, the foreground interest will keep you from focusing on the backdrop as it should, but the backdrop will not distract away from that foreground interest and indeed will reinforce the illusion of being somewhere else.

Finally, so many of the layouts I've operated on recently have been set in the heavily-forested Pacific Northwest. There's forest green, then a lighter shade of forest green, and another shade...you get the idea. How refreshing to see Texas. Boy...never thought I'd say that... Confusedhock: 357

Galen
I may not be a rivet counter, but I sure do like rivets!

Messages In This Thread