Car advice re 2003 Subaru?
I know, I know!! I'm way behind on this thread, but here's my observations on the status quo:
Whenever a clutch needs to be replaced, it's is always a good idea to have the flywheel resurfaced. Flywheels are not made of new steel. Most are made of re-cycled steel, and minor slippage, (normally speaking,) will burn "hard spots" on the surfaces of the flywheel and clutch plate. These will cause further wear on both sufaces, as the friction between the two surfaces are not constant and equal. Also, when the clutches were replaced, were both the disc, and pressure plate replaced? Perhaps at some point, the mechanic just replaced the fiber disc, and not the pressure plate. Discs are fibrous, and will wear out before the pressure plate. As for a replacment unit, I'd personally consider a Volvo wagon. They are well built, and with the rear seats removed, (a five minute procedure, can haul lengths of around 7' plus. Example: my wife had purchased some large fixtures from a Jo-Ann's that was closing. We put two very large displays, unassembled. in the back of my wagon with no problem. BTW. it's a '98 with over 150,000 miles on it. I bought it used, in 2008. It's a V70 AWD, which designation just means that power is transferred to whichever wheel has the best traction. And, yes, sometimes it is in all-wheel=drive.

I'll shut up, now. 357 Nope
I only know what I know, and I don't understand very much of it, either.
Member: AEA, American Legion, Lions Club International
Motto: "Essayons"

Messages In This Thread