Newbie - District 22 - Downtown L.A. (A table top railway)
P5se Camelback Wrote:.......... build them to whatever frog number it turns out to be to go where I want it to go ...........

Funnily enough, I can see the logic. I'll try and explain. The turnouts have been built to a #6 template - I've noticed that most contributors having been using this type for the small switching layouts so thought I'd follow suit. I 'guessed'.....yes, guessed! that this equates to a 1:6 'gradient(?), which to me means one unit up for every 6 units along. From this I built a simple jig from a spare piece of rai and steel rule, against which the rails of the frog were held with blu-tac to aid the soldering process. When I placed the frog or vee rail over the template...eureka!!....it fitted. The point of all this is that I now realise that I can build the same jig for #8, 10 or whatever; even to a bespoke angle as you describe, biL. Just shows, it does instill confidence.............

Your track is beautiful, and this the standard I'm aiming for. The ballast is most realistic displaying a variety of hues, typical of the real thing. I particularly like the sleepers: have you used powders to create tghat faded dusty look - although I sound as though I know what I'm talking about - I don't!!!!! - these are ideas I've read about here or in mags - if you wouldn't mind imparting, I'd like to 'borrow' your method Wink

I notice you've opted for real 'spikes' - sorry, I'm not going that far Nope (no patience) I shall opt for glued ties punctuated with the odd soldered PCB tie for strength (won't be many hence the desire to 'bury' the ties Big Grin ).

I don't know about therapeutic though :evil:

Thanks for sharing, biL.

Bestest,

Jonte

Messages In This Thread