We need a GERN thread
Charles Wrote:Oh, my, the innocence of youth. Nope The experimental QM Condensors did suffer from that malady, my boy, as you so astutely deduced, but production models were fitted with a "STORAGE" mode, which allows the hatch to be re-opened without fear of any such occurrence. The latest versions, QM-3.1 and later, allow the reduction to take place with the hatch open. Thumbsup Unloading is simplified, too, in that any unit of condensed lading may be accessed, regardless of the order of loading, at the stroke of a key. Thumbsup Thumbsup
It should be obvious, especially to a bright lad such as yourself, that with these capabilities, there's no limit, other than common sense, Wink to the amount of material which can be carried.
One difficulty which hasn't been mentioned is the weight factor. Obviously, with the material transformed to 3% less than nothing in volume, its weight is altered in a like manner. With a large intake of thusly reduced cargo, the vehicle itself will decrease in gross weight in inverse proportion to that of the cargo taken on, adversely affecting the handling of said vehicle. To counteract this phenomenon, GERN scientists developed a MASS Accumulating Gravitational Equaliser, which can be used to separate the weight component from select units of cargo whilst it undergoes the volume reduction, thus maintaining the vehicle's weight at it's original (tare) figure. Cargo thus treated is said to be, in the vernacular, MASSAGEd. Icon_lol Icon_lol

Cookie
Geeze, I was going to say the exact same thing, lucky I read your post first or mine would have been repetitious. Misngth You did fail to mention though that they had lost a few of these ships that floated away before they got the weight/load/equalizing factor ratio calculations correct. They reported them as weather balloons when they were spotted heading into orbit. I'm told that only 3% of these people believe the official story. Icon_lol
Don (ezdays) Day
Board administrator and
founder of the CANYON STATE RAILROAD

Messages In This Thread