Northwest 22nd St, Miami
Hi Jonte,
Thanks its at that stage that it looks really odd without any dullcoat on the structures and the contrast levels are way off, but I can see past that (I dont always) once the paler sand/powder ballast goes down that will brighten up the main part of the layout, also the road surface needs weathering and lines painted. If anyone is wondering the whole of the Nw 22nd St isn't modelled at the front, but the part that runs past the building I'm using front left is oneway at that point so I figure it wouldn't matter too much, plus I don't have any cars at the moment just trucks and vans and a forklift.

The track was painted using one of Lance Ms techniques, but basically its diluted Burnt Umber artist oil paint, diluted with mineralised spirits to the consistency of weak coffee. Then left to dry for a few days. The ME track took it fine the shinohara didn't like it much even over the primer but a second coat and it was fine. Lance went on to spray the tie plates separately but I've left mine for now as I quite like the look, but you could add different shades of brown to the plates and rails, and also add grey drybrush on the timbers to represent sun bleaching. However the grey ballast I've put down has resulted in a grey powder coating to the ties which has negated the issue for now but once I add klear to the ballast that might get removed. The old adage have a look at the track in the area you want to model to see what its actually like and model what you see and not what you think it should look like.

hth
Dave
My Miami NW 22nd St layout and modelling blog http://dlmr.wordpress.com/ Please come by and leave a comment.

Messages In This Thread