The House for San Bernardino
O.K. ...

According to Stan, the "Project Manager," NMRA MMR and former resident of San Bernardino (back in the second Ice Age Wink 357 ) this was a neighborhood of relatively inexpensive small houses built on the "other side of the tracks" from the Depot. There is only a portion of one row of those houses remaining along the south side of West 5th St. / West Foothill Blvd. (a.k.a. Cal Rt. 66) seen HERE using the Google Maps. The rest of what was once the neighborhood is now a paved over repository for containers on skeleton trailers and possibly a few 53 ft. trailers. Depending how close you move in to the view, you will notice that the wheeled units that unload the containers from the rail cars (they appear to not be on rails but on rubber tires) move a bit from view to view. So ... now we know that as you move in, you will be viewing an image captured at a different time that the one farther out or closer in ... interesting!

At any rate, after combing the area for hours of apparently wasted time, looking for this house to determine the correct color to paint it, I can tell you that the house I am building no longer exists, having become a victim of progress. Stan confirmed this fact for me at Tuesday afternoon's Operating Session (the last of the season as the snowbirds have now all flown north for the summer!)

But when the house did exist, it had a footprint of 24'-0" x 32'-0" for a total of 768 sq. ft. of living space under roof. The front porch at 5'-6" x 16'-6" yielded 36 sq. ft. additional outdoor space still under roof.

Here is a peek at where I am on the project this afternoon ... and a glimpse of one of the reasons it has been taking me so long to put this relatively little house together, now that most of the major pieces have been fabricated and sit ready for assembly ...

There are a few things going on inside the house Icon_lol that will ready for viewing in the near future ... :arrow: 8-) Icon_idea Big Grin ...

And then there is the roof! Let's hope I can build this one the correct size!! I already have a garage roof that will be very nice on a slightly larger garage!
357 35 Wallbang Wallbang
biL

Lehigh Susquehanna & Western 

"America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves." ~~Abraham Lincoln

Messages In This Thread