Compact Steel Mill plan?
Shaun i like the plan Thumbsup Thumbsup

It represents the basics of the Steel Process. Coal comes from Coal Mine in the coal drag, goes to Coke Oven and turned into Coke.
Coke goes into Quencher Tower and is cooled. Coke is brought to the Blast Furnace and is mixed with Iron Ore and Limestone to produce Molten Iron.
From here, the Molten Iron would be transported via Hot Metal Bottle Cars (which i might add ARE available in N scale Misngth ) and would be taken to a Open Hearth Furnace, Electric Arc Furnace, and BOF (Basic Oxygen Furnace) or a combination of the 3 if i understand correctly.

The OHF combines Molden Iron with Lime and Flux to make Molten Steel.
The EAF combines Molten Iron, Crushed Iron Ore, Lime, Flux and Scrap to make Molten Steel.
And the BOF combines Molten Iron and Oxygen to make Molten Steel.
From those MASSIVE buildings, it would be off to the Rolling Mill where it would be pounded and rolled in steel coils and steel slabs, shipped out to Machine Shops and Manufacture's that have ordered coils and slabs......

I know what you mean about the shear size of the buildings, i did all 3 of those buildings in N scale about a year ago or so, maybe it was 2 years ago lol cant member, and i was shocked just how massive they were, i mean the BF was just as tall, if not taller then all my HO scale Buildings. I cant even image what these HO ones are going to be like!!

The Kits that you have are all nice kits and pretty easy to build. My only advise on that Blast Furnace is to build it slow, make sure to follow instructions, and paint whenever and wherever you can, trust me, when that thing is done, you wont want to be painting it lol, there are way to many details that could potentially get broken when painting....

Good luck with your project Thumbsup :mrgreen:
Josh Mader

Maders Trains
Offering everyday low prices for the Model Railroad World

Messages In This Thread