Walther's New Steel Industry ~~ **Future Plans**
Russ Bellinis Wrote:Josh, if that track plan is drawn to scale, your barge dock is just barely big enough to justify 2 cranes. A real dock that size would probably only have one crane.

Hey Russ, The dock is 5' 9" as it is right now and i dont think i could make it any larger lol. I took one of the cranes out so now there are only 2 Bridge Cranes on the dock. I think it looks better and less crowded in there, and now they really have some room to "work" lol

[Image: e3044389.jpg]

Ive also added in the stud ended yard and added the lift out for this level that would cross a door. I also added another run-around track on the left side of the layout on the inside mainline track. Now both the inner and outer mainline tracks have run-arounds.... There are also 2 Walthers Double Crossovers on the mainline, one at the top just below the BOF and one just below the Bridge Cranes

This is how this layout would work.
  • 1. Coal trains would be loaded up in the harbor with the bridge cranes.
    2. Trains would run around the layout and either back in or pull into the coal dump tracks at the Coke Oven.
    3. Coke would go into the Quencher Tower to cool off and then travel into a separate building (which is not on the plan yet) where they would be dumped out of the Quencher Cars and loaded into Coke Cars.
    4. Coke Cars would be brought out to the mainline and then head off to the Blast Furnace where it would be dumped in the Materials Dump along with Limestone and Iron Ore.
    5. This mixture would be melted to produce Molten Iron and be loaded into Hot Metal Bottle Cars and shuffled off to the Basic Oxygen Furnace (which the Molten Iron would be mixed with Oxygen), Open Hearth Furnace (which the Molten Iron would be mixed with Lime, Flux, and more crushed Iron Ore), and or the Electric Arc Furnace (which the Molten Iron would be mixed with Lime, Flux, more crushed Iron Ore, and Scrap Steel)
    6. From the Basic Oxygen Furnace, Open Hearth Furnace, and Electric Arc Furnace it would be pushed over to the Rolling Mill where it would be pounded, rolled..... into coils and giant slabs of steel
    7. Finished products would be shipped out on Coil Cars and Flat Cars
Josh Mader

Maders Trains
Offering everyday low prices for the Model Railroad World

Messages In This Thread