Fluorescent Lamp Color Tests
Gary S Wrote:They're probably not optimum, but with 70 lamps needed, I won't be changing them to a different temp anytime soon. Nope

Good point - changing temperatures takes awhile because the tubes last so long. When one finally goes and you replace it with a different temp, it can be distracting since it's the odd man out. I know - the side of my basement that will house my layout is a smattering of unknowns, cool whites, 5K's and 6.5 K's and who knows what else!

At some point, I'll be replacing the existing magnetic ballast T12 fixtures with electronic T8 fixtures (quieter and more efficient, though not quite as much light), which is what spurred the interest in color. I've narrowed it down to 5K and 3.5K. 6.5K is too blue for me and 4.1K doesn't look natural. It's all subjective.

Gary S Wrote:Your experimentation has caused me to re-examine my camera though, to find the various exposure modes. I'll play around with that to see what looks best.

If I had taken those photos with the white balance set to auto, the difference in color would have been negligible. Both would have looked "natural". Cameras (at least mine) do an amazing job in this regard. I believe this is the only time I've left auto for a reason other than "fiddling" around! The best case would have been to set a custom white balance outside so that the colors shown would have been relative to sunlight, but alas, it was dark out when I got the urge to do this.... Icon_lol
Matt Goodman
Columbus, Ohio

Messages In This Thread