Alternative to the NMRA Master Model Railroader?
I see nothing wrong with an achievement program as long as people don't get carried away with it.

The purpose is to encourage people to explore the hobby, and it does feel nice to achieve something. No one is saying anyone is better, they are saying that so and so has accomplished such and such set of standards. As Shaygetz said above, "Everyone playing knows the score"

there is no need to take this sort of thing to seriously. I'm no stranger to achievement programs gone to far. If you think the NMRA stuff is silly, just try to sign on to something like "Xbox Live", then you'll see how far people will go. Its not uncommon for a bunch of people to "Stage" an achievement in some video games with friends, rather than actually achieve them, and do this for literally hours at a time, buying games they don't want for the sake of the achievements.

I don't see this sort of obsessive madness in the Model train hobby, and until I do, I'm going to have to go with NMRA ranks not being a big deal. Its just one more way to improve your skills, and if that is not how you like to "play the game", then you do it your way.

I personally think having a "Medals" system would be great. They can be incredibly goofy (Like a "Mini Me" achievement, make a scale model of yourself, Or a "Pig-pen" achievement [named after the peanuts character], Weather a model!), and would ultimately encourage exploration into the hobby.
Modeling New Jersey Under the Wire 1978-1979.  
[Image: logosmall.png]

Messages In This Thread