Alternative to the NMRA Master Model Railroader?
ocalicreek Wrote:A helpful idea is that of immigrants vs natives to the digital world. Immigrants are those who grew up without the internet and for them the only way to interact with other modelers was through either round-robin groups or the NMRA or the local hobby shop coffee pot. Maybe attending a show and getting involved with a club was the way to go.

Natives are those who have grown up not knowing what life was like before the internet and whose entry point into the hobby may very well be a forum such as this. While the former options for interaction are still there and doubtless will continue for another generation at least (if they ever go away entirely), the prefered means of communication for natives remains through digital media with only occasional person-to-person contact.

Galen

Where do you put the large number of us who were middle-aged adults when the internet came along? I'm in that category, and I still prefer to actually talk to people. The day we stop doing that, we can kiss our rear-ends good-bye. Communication is already a dying art, and almost entirely non-existent among the youth of today, who cannot function without a cellphone that Tweets, Twitters, Texts, Sexts and connects to the internet, usually while walking, driving or just breathing.

I doubt there is a high school kid in America who knows how to actually DO research anymore. Somehow, I don't see that as "progress", nor even beneficial.

Messages In This Thread