Some finishing details...
I finally got my work bench cleaned off last night... and made it messy again in no time flat. Looking at the three main projects I have going on right now, I elected to have a go at making some chain and tackle for my float transfer slip.

[Image: IMG00201-20110707-1934.jpg]

It started off innocently enough with some brass stock that I placed in my electric drill chuck and then filed a couple of grooves in it with an angle file. Pretty tricky to get started, but once it got going I was able to make two of these in a few minutes. These would be the pulley mechanism or something like it... :?

[Image: IMG00203-20110707-1935.jpg]

The next step was to give it some chains... I draped some some scale chain into the grooves and soldered it in place.

[Image: IMG00204-20110707-2108.jpg]

Once that was done I made some small brass eye hooks and clamped them onto the chain leaving a bit at each end to solder a loop into it.

[Image: IMG00205-20110707-2301.jpg]

A test fit with another eye hook at the bottom and then a finally one at the top which was pulled and then bent in place to keep the chain reasonably taut.

[Image: IMG00206-20110707-2318-1.jpg]

Next step is to finish off the steel plate details for the framing, you see I got a start on the two of the plates in the bottom right of the photo. I finished off the one side this morning. This was pretty simple, I cut a couple pieces of brass shim stock to size, drilled the holes, glued the plates in place with Pliobond, drilled the holes into the wood timbers and then using some .025 music wire (I sanded the bluing off) I soldered the music wire to the plates on both sides. It creates a sort of clamp on the timbers and helps give it the stiffness I was after all along. I left the wire short on the inside, but will trim the out side length with a rotary tool.

I'm off for the weekend and won't be back home until Sunday. But I plan on getting this structure finished and fixed in place before the end of next week.

Bye for now. Big Grin

Messages In This Thread