exactrail 'fine scale' wheels
A short addition of my experiences with RP-25 code 88 wheelsets.
All my newest models and a few more are equipped with code 88 wheelsets. Look my both videos in my video thread; the cars did run on a modular layout where 20 or 30 modelers built their modules in different quality and equipped with various track system components.
I have had not one derailment of the extreme light cars at the switches, not of the code 110 and not of the code 88 wheelsets and all my models have trucks from different manufacturers, Kadee with the sprung and movable side frames and others with rigid frames. The trains ran and ran and you can see the videos that there are no cuts in the scenes.
Some problems have made the wheelsets on the module connections where not all rails have hade a smooth changeover. However there I have made very different cognizance and I have found the conclusion for my future modeling projects.
First I must say that I love a high prototypical look of my models. And the wheelsets should be backside equipped with rips because I prefer to model in 1900. There are two makers of such wheelsets, Kadee with code 110 wheels and newly also with code 88 and Proto2000 with code 110 only however with a better and smooth surface on rimes and flanges! What should I use – Kadee wheelsets with code 88 wheels and their sprung (movable) archbar trucks?
Three of my five models of the gondola train have such trucks and wheelsets and two models are equipped with turned Intermountain code 88 wheels because the future owners of these two cars would like to prefer Intermountain wheelsets – with metal axles. (I must say also that they roll better than Kadees with plastic axles.)
However the problem was come at the module interchanges only with the Kadee wheelsets! I think that their relatively raw rimes and the very raw flanges – especially the highest line of the flanges – were the reason for derailments. The sharp and raw outline of the flanges climbed on rails and derailed in next step. Not one of wheelset with turned and machined wheels derailed at these points – independently if wheels have had code 110 or code 88 contours! However I must repeat me: these small Kadee wheelsets did not made problems running over switches. (An addition here – all my car model have a three point equalizing so all wheels are in connection to rails.)
My conclusion of this negative experience with the relatively raw surface of Kadees:
I will use Proto2000 ripped back wheelsets with code 110 wheels or - and that will be the preferred solution - I will use Intermountain code 88 wheelsets because their metal axles with better and smoother rolling characteristics. However wheelsets with code 88 wheels are absolutely save working wheelsets – my thinking! And wheelsets with smooth rime and flange surfaces will give a more trouble-free running yet to the models.
Cheers, Bernd

Please visit also my website www.us-modelsof1900.de.
You can read some more about my model projects and interests in my chronicle of facebook.

Messages In This Thread