Possible Scale Switch
The N-scale models and parts available these days are really very good. My eyesight is okay with glasses, but I have found one of those magnifying visors to be indispensable. Also, many times one needs to fabricate special tools, like wrecking a paper clip to make a tweezer for installing very small screws and other parts. It's all doable.

The BLMA wheel sets are the biggest improvement to rolling stock performance I've come across, and their application vastly improves operational smoothness. Of course, a 1/64" hiccup in the track will be magnified approximately 85% in comparison to HO scale! So the track base must be as smooth as you can make it. My experience is the Atlas GP range of locomotives are truly superior performers in N, and can rival almost anything available in HO operationally. The Atlas code 55 track products are also quite good, and readily available at nominal cost. There are products from other manufacturers that can also provide very satisfying results. As in any scale, it's good to decide on couplers, and then use them always.

I do think there is a bit more fuss involved when modeling in 160:1, but it is entirely practicable to make N-scale models perform very very well, and in very little space. Good luck! Ric

Messages In This Thread