The Hjemstad Line
Svein,

I am likewise reconsidering a section of my layout, it's function, capacity, etc. I am remembering that "less is more" allows me to include more scenery, which I like, and makes the layout look less like a parking lot full of track and more like a railroad in a nice setting. Just glancing at your plan my first thought was, 'track heavy'.

Your towns do seem to be spread out evenly, however walking alongside a train would be difficult, having to duck under and go from room to room. 'Tower' operators, as you alluded, would be one solution. But is that how you want to operate, or are you envisioning something else?

As a regular operator on a railroad that travels through walls from room to room, I can say it is not ideal but it can work. Just don't put a passing track between walls, that is, don't make the turnouts on either end on either side of the wall. How are you planning on dispatching the railroad? TT&TO? Radios? This, perhaps more than anything, may influence how you place towns and operating areas. And finally, realistically, how many folks will regularly operate the layout?

Just a few thoughts to consider. Smile

Galen
I may not be a rivet counter, but I sure do like rivets!

Messages In This Thread