The Hjemstad Line
Hi Paul,

The more I look at your plan, the more I like it! I have all three plans (yours, Sperandeo's San Jacinto District, and the Ozark plan) in front of me now, and I'm beginning to form a picture in my head.

I'm thinking of flipping the plan so that the fiddle yard goes to the right, straightening out the yard and put it in the other room. I'd extend the line from San Jacinto up along the right wall (left wall on your plan) and into the other room, with a wye connection in the upper right corner for continuous running.

Regarding the Hemet branch; instead of connecting it to the main line along the left wall (right wall on your plan), maybe I'll continue the curve all the way down, and let it branch out from San Jacinto. Maybe also on a slight downward grade, so that the Hemet industrial area lies a little lower that the rest of the layout.

What do you think..?

Brakie Wrote:Paul,That Atlas layout is a nice one but,the only change I would make is to dump the turntable since its not needed and is old school thinking that every layout needs a turntable -even a switching layout.. Eek

I respectfully disagree. True, all layouts don't need a turntable, but it's a nice feature if you can fit one in. Also, if modeling the steam era, turntables were quite frequent, and especially on a terminus, as (at least here in Norway) tender engines rarely were run tender first for longer distances.

Svein

Messages In This Thread