What Era, Railroads, & Locomotives are you set on?
[quote="Green_Elite_Cab"]

I was about to say, wasn't there an operating N&W Y6 on top of their Streamlined 4-8-4 (class escapes me at the moment). Wasn't there a former Reading Company T1 still running as well? what happened to that? I know there is work to get one of the PRR K4s going. Sounds like they've lost steam, no pun intended.

[quote]

It was one of their Class A 2-6-6-4s. A very powerful fast freight locomotive...quite capable of excursion service so long as you have a heavy-duty mainline on which to operate it...it has the same 70" drivers as the 4-8-4 (Class J). The Y's were 2-8-8-2s and too slow to be of any use on mainlines...but too big for museums and tourist operations.

There are two Reading T-1s which have run. The 2101 was fried to a crisp in a roundhouse fire at the C&O's Stevens yard here in Cincinnati (ruining the temper on its steel and rendering her a static display). This was one of the Freedom train locomotives and C&O felt sufficiently bad that they arranged to trade her for C&O 614 (B&O Museum) which Ross Rowland restored and ran into the '90s. The second, 2102, ran on the Blue Mountain and Reading into the early '90s...but hasn't run since despite a couple attempted overhauls.

The K-4,1361, ran a little in the '80s. She spent a number of years in the Altoona/Holidaysburg Conrail shops (she's owned by the Railroaders Memorial Museum in Altoona) before being shipped off to Steamtown to be overhauled. That was a nightname. It spiraled out of control...with unbelievable $$$ being wasted before the work was aborted a year or two ago. I'm not certain how much of the failure was due to the engine and how much was due to people (one person in particular, not the shop crew). Back in the '70s, there was some discussion of restoring and using both surviving K-4s to pull the Freedom train...but ultimately it was the Daylight, 2101, and the T&P 610.

I remember the canadian steamers at Steamtown. I think these had the capacity to impress me, but because they are so limited as to where they can run, it is not like they can open the throttle and really roll. I think that alot of these steamers are just contained, and not able to run to their full potential.

I've considered this, but i do not think it is the case. I've seen some DVDs and pictures that might argue otherwise. Even something as small as an Atlantic can present an impressive display. Certainly, it is fascinating to study the operation of such machines.

[quote]

It is definitely true that most locomotives can impress...but the key is always to have a heavy enough train to make them work...and speed also counts for something. The problem with 4-6-2s and 4-4-2s is that their pulling power greatly limits their ability to haul a heavy enough train for a profitable mainline excursion while museum and tourist line service usually forces them to operate at slow speeds and prevent them from having heavy enough trains.

The exact opposite applies to 2-8-2s and such...they can pull a heavy enough train...but not at mainline speeds. So, they are typically confined to museum and tourist operations were they can't pull enough cars to work...but their are exceptions. I enjoy them parked, taking it easy, or getting in a good workout.

On the other hand, i seem to have acquired an interest in arguably the most lifeless of rail equipment, electrics. They barely have any moving parts, apart from motors, wheels, and the passive gliding of a pantograph or a third rail shoe over its power source. Many just give off a whir, and they don't even have the rumbling of a diesel prime mover, let alone the chugging and moving parts of a steam engine. You can at least hear a diesel sigh a bit. An electric might make a bit of a whine before it goes, and then just purrs quietly down the right of way.

The more i think about it, i don't really think the draw is towards any particular type, its just random chance i live in electrified territory. I think there may still yet be just a small spec of romance in the rails left these days, and the rarity of and relatively contained conditions of surviving steam locomotives that prevent me from building these associations.

on the other other hand, GG1s manage to impress me, and none have run for over 28 years, only existing in museums, pictures, and movies.

Meh, it doesn't make sense, but its all a journey. I'll figure it out someday.

I like juice far more than diesels. I don't know why, but it has just always been interesting to me. That is especially the case after a trip to Europe. One local modeler has a massive VGN layout which depicts steam, diesel, and electric action. He's a neat guy too:
<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.deepwaterdistrict.com/">http://www.deepwaterdistrict.com/</a><!-- m -->

Time to get ready for church...

Michael
Michael
My primary goal is a large Oahu Railway layout in On3
My secondary interests are modeling the Denver, South Park, & Pacific in On3 and NKP in HO
<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://thesouthparkline.blogspot.com/">http://thesouthparkline.blogspot.com/</a><!-- m -->

Messages In This Thread