EFfingham RailRoad
Well after convincing the wife that I'd be fine making a "short" trip, I took off in the wee hours of the morning Wednesday Aug 17th to go check out some of my favorite locations in Southern Indiana and Central Illinois, to see what was happening.

After arriving in Mount Vernon, IL, to see what was going on at National Railway Equipment, I decided to make the additional 50 mile trip North to Effingham and see what I could find. I was guessing that the EFRR would probably be working by the time I got there so off I went.

Arriving in Effingham at about 830am their time, I was having to shoot most all the photos I took looking in to what sun light there was and to the west it looked like it could start raining at any time. Not having much time to spend there, I did manage to get some shots of various industries and so forth in the area and they aren't the best quality because of the light.

Sure enough, the EFRR was "sort of" working when I arrived, but 2716 simply sat outside the south end of the TQW warehouse idling the whole time I was in the area:     Couldn't find anyone around to see if they'd being doing much and not being one to do very much trespassing, I simplly got as close to 2716 as I could and took that shot. Signs like this are posted every where around the industrial park and might be usable for you layout:    
Here's a shot of the water tower at the south end of the industrial park:     I didn't manage to get any good shots of the huge cross that is about 3/4 miles west of the park, as every field and vacant land in the park and west of the park is full of corn and soybeans. From the industrial park you are more or less looking at the cross from the side or slightly from the side and this Google street view from Raney St is a good representation of what you see from most locations in the park: http://maps.google.com/?ll=39.104265,-88....3,,0,4.73
Here's a shot at the extreme south end of the EFRR/CN(IC) interchange track at the highway overpass. That's a CN(IC) freight getting ready to depart Effingham on the left    
And a shot from the same location looking north.     Note the storage cars in the two storage tracks on the west side of the interchange track and there were a couple more on the interchange track. In fact, just about every car that I saw on EFRR tracks in the industrial park appeared to be storage cars and most were plastic pellet cars. Since the EFRR has no facility that receives plastic pellets, you can assume that these were simply in storage.
Ed
"Friends don't let friends build Timesavers"

Messages In This Thread