Southern Pacific Switching Layout
Justinmiller171 Wrote:This may sound strange, but I don't want too much operation on this layout, Consolidated Container will provide plenty of operation by itself, Premier chemical and the Building supply are just for added interest

A storage track is required for this layout, there is no drill track on this layout since there are no empty tracks, I can't use the right side of the layout as a drill track since there is no runaround. And I don't want a runaround Misngth
Certainly doesn't sound strange to me Justin. Consolidated Container would be a very rail intensive operation and no doubt the reason for the existence of the spur. A facility like that one might require switching twice a day to keep up their production. You can find numerous examples of industrial spurs around the country that primarily serve one large industry and may or may not have one or two other small industries on them.

Lately, I've been wondering to myself if I'm trying to include too much on my own ISL. All of the current industries are pretty much required to support my freight car fleet, but I may take a second look at just how many separate industries and tracks I should include. How much is too much?

By the way, a drill track does not require the use of a run-around. It's simply a track (usually found in a yard) where you can make moves to switch cars without fouling the main track. In your case, the main line could be called a drill track when you are switching Consolidated, but I wouldn't call it that. It's simply the main or lead.
Ed
"Friends don't let friends build Timesavers"

Messages In This Thread