L&N Industrial Rail Spur
Mike Kieran Wrote:Hey Ed, I don't know if you need a staging track on the other end. You seem to have enough track as is.
You're right that I don't really need the staging track as there is more than enough room to stage the train on the main plan and operate it just fine, which is what I've been doing. Just want to have a bit longer run before actually entering the industrial spur and perhaps have room to stage two trains. I'd like to include a switch coming of the "main" track and an operating derail at that point, just for a little added interest; but it isn't something that's a must have.

Incidentally, I can operate this layout with industry tracks at 100% capacity with no problem what so ever, although that is rarely the case. As it is, only the chocolates plant is typically filled to capacity at all times and usually has a "hold" car on the track too.
Mike Kieran Wrote:If I were to make any changes to the industries, I would either extend the Lowes Lumber spur one car length to make it a building supply so that you can add covered hoppers (cement, sand) or hoppers (gravel) and get rid of Clark's Distributors to make it a cleanout spot.
Clark Distributing is a must. Destination for the beer cars that I've added to the fleet. The prototype structure that it's based on is 196ft long and only spots one car at a time. As for a clean out track, well that's in the yard or done on site.

Pretty much the same with Lowes Lumber, it is simply based on numerous small lumber/building supply facilities around here that only receive a couple of cars per week. It doesn't require a structure, only a fenced in area with perhaps an unloading dock by the track. Cement and/or sand and gravel would be commodities for another industry.
Brakie Wrote:Ed,I kinda like your old plan better but,the revised plan does have its merits.
Larry;
It is a toss up right now. I do like the current plan quite a bit and am happy with how things work out on it. Just a matter of which version might be a bit more realistic to model. That's not to say that you wouldn't have a short industrial spur in a mid-size town that is packed with several industries of various sizes. A lot more rail served industries in the late 70's - early 80's then there are now. So I'll have to really think this through before making any changes. It is after all, just a "possibility" right now. :-)

P.S.; I'm eagerly awaiting when I can get back out and spend some time rail fanning again. This is a good time of the year to get photographs! My planned trip out to Missouri to photograph the Columbia Terminal dinner train and the Ozark Valley Railroad has been postponed for obvious reasons. Plenty of action on NS less than an hour from here, but I'm sick of the constant parade of black and white GE's!
Ed
"Friends don't let friends build Timesavers"

Messages In This Thread