Small commuter focused layout?
Green_Elite_Cab Wrote:Hey guys,

Basically, i'm looking for a small layout that will let me model some commuter runs with reasonable frequency (and different consists), and allow for a small amount of local freight operations. my mind is currently seeing one 4' long station platform and a single industrial area, with staging at one end or the other. The longest commuter trains would be 4 cars long (abou 4 real feet).

Scale: HO
Hypothetical 9x11 empty space.
Governing Rolling Stock: GG1s, 85' commuter cars (includes two car "married pairs", 190'). Atleast 30' scale foot height clearance for catenary

Operation Priorities: (rearrange as required)

1. Main-Line Passenger Train Operation
2. Local Freight Operations
3. Passenger Train Switching
4. Long Freight Train Operations

Typical operating Crew: Me

Mmm -

In a first home, and in a situation where there might be frequent moves of the next few years, we are probably talking not a room filling layout, but maybe more of a fairly movable shelf layout on 2-3 walls of a bedroom sized room ?

The desire that is hardest to fullfill in H0 scale is the commuter runs, and the long freight train operations.

It would be fairly easy (in principle) to model a little bit of a run, from staging, past a couple of industries and into one passenger station or terminal, with the rest of the world being represented by staging - say 10 feet of staging and 10 feet of industries the passenger trains will pass, and 10 feet of terminal area - of which about 4-5 feet is the platform length. Several platforms for arriving trains, a station switcher, maybe room for a little coach yard and some engine maintenance?

You have significant investments in H0 scale equipment, so I guess going N scale is out of the question?

Smile,
Stein

Messages In This Thread