TastyBake ISL
Thanks Gentlemen. Glad my descriptions of the basic types of covered hoppers was of some help. There are so many variations of those "basic" covered hopper descriptions you could spend a lot of time finding examples of them.

Spent the day train watching on NS yesterday (first time I've been out of the house all day long since my surgery) and my sidekick and I got to watching all the covered hoppers on the many trains we saw. With all the different freight car manufacturers you sure have a plenty of styles to choose from and many require a close look to tell just what type of car you're seeing.

Here's a good web site that shows examples of the cars produced by American Railcar Industries (ARI - formerly ACF):
http://www.americanrailcar.com/RailcarMa...uring.aspx. Most of the pages pertaining to car descriptions are in PDF format and their covered hoppers are all based on the Centerflow car style, but some really good information here, including drawings of the car dimensions. Be sure and look at their Thru Sill car types for some great examples of gravity discharge covered hoppers. Incidentally, Centerflow, Pressureaide and Thru Sill are their trademarked names for some of these car types. Other manufacturers build the same type cars, but with different names for them and of course different car body styles.
Ed
"Friends don't let friends build Timesavers"

Messages In This Thread