L&N Industrial Rail Spur
Mike Kieran Wrote:Actually, a food processor would add ingredients to the food like preservatives, corn syrup, fillers, etc. Justin has a point, just an incorrect example as well as Lance Mindheim's example. While they may distribute these foods, the foods are actually processed at a central location. The averagae chicken nugget has only 50% chicken meat in it. Guess what the rest of it is. Hint - it comes in in covered hoppers and tank cars.
Mike;
We are of course talking about two different types of industries here. Guess I should have made the point clearer. The type of facility that I currently have on my layout does not actually process any foods, but is simply the distributor of various food products and food service items. But it still has a good variety of freight car types that would be spotted there. In that regard, the term "food processor" would not be correct.

For an example of a facility that is actually a "food processor"; take your chicken nuggets (Please!). A company like Tyson would, at one facility, process the chickens (even raise them near the plant) , add preservatives and what other ingredients they include (do we really want to know?) then package and ship out the finished product to distribution centers. Same thing with the example of the soup plant, all the ingredients of the various soups would be "processed" at the plant and then the finished product shipped out. These would be large facilities too.

Those are some interesting examples that you and Larry are suggesting for possible model railroad industries and could be something to model on an ISL type layout. Will have to spend a little time looking around on Google/Bing and see if I can find some examples of those types of facilities or perhaps you or Larry can point me to some.
Ed
"Friends don't let friends build Timesavers"

Messages In This Thread