Santa Fe switcher in the early 1980th
Reinhard;

If I understand the question correctly you could certainly use the GP-30. They were produced between July 1961 and November 1963 (total of 908 units built). I know that the L&N purchased quite a few of them when introduced and were the first L&N engines to wear the rebel paint scheme. CSX has since converted a lot of remaining GP-30's to road slugs. Getting off track here, but I see no reason why you couldn't have a GP-30 in use in switching service, circa 1980. After all, they would be old units by then and would no doubt have been replaced in road service by newer, more powerful locomotives.

The information I have about the CF-7 says that ATSF built (re-built) them between Oct 1970 and Mar 1978 and as you are no doubt aware, there are many of them still in daily service on short line and industrial rail operations. So no reason that you couldn't see both of those locomotive models running around together in 1980 or so.

Don't know enough about the ATSF to say what era the GP7u with the billboard paint would fit in to. But my vote would be for (c.) use both. The GP-7u could of course give you a project to repaint should it not be correct for your era.

I'm sure that some of the folks on here that model the ATSF could give you better info, but that's my two cents worth.
Ed
"Friends don't let friends build Timesavers"

Messages In This Thread